Wednesday, April 29, 2009

the sacredness of questioning everything

Laura said this about these quotes from this book. The quotes and her thoughts on them both really resonated with me.

The summons to sacred questioning--like the call to honesty, like the call to prayer--is a call to be true and to let the chips fall where they may. This call to worship is deeper than the call to sign off on a checklist of particular tenets or beliefs. It is also more difficult.
Laura said: "One of the things I like about it is that it doesn't just point fingers at those fundamentalist types we're all so happy to bash for their unquestioning faith. He very aptly points out how this applies to all of us."

To keep it all simple and safe, we often become selective fundamentalists. We know where to go to have our prejudices explained as just and sensible, our convictions strengthened, our group or political party reaffirmed.

Laura said "Guilty as charged." I say...me too.

3 comments:

LKT said...

Thanks so much for pointing me towards this book!

stephy said...

It's my ridiculous pleasure!

Still Breathing said...

I like questions so I've just added it to my Amazon Wish List - it is even available on this side of the pond!